Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Fried Chicken and watermelon

Recently I heard a black person get extremely upset because a white guy said, "I like friend chicken and watermelon too."  Immediately the white guy was called racist.  How is that a racist comment?  In Greece, it is extremely common to have watermelon after your meal for dessert.  In fact, I don't know many people who don't like the taste of fried chicken or watermelon.  The only problem the people I know have with fried chicken is that it's fattening.  How did this become a black thing? Why is it racist for a white person to like it? 
      Let's just pretend it was a black thing.  Why do blacks hate when whites enjoy their culture.  Other cultures from the Greeks to the Dominicans, to Mexicans to Puerto Ricans love to show their culture.  Jews don't get mad if I say I like challah.  Greeks don't get mad if someone likes galaktoboutiko or baklava.  Dominicans don't get mad if you like mangoes and platanos so why do black people get offended if people like watermelon and fried chicken?

I've even heard blacks complain about blacks openly admitting that they like watermelon and fried chicken.  Two years ago, NBA star Josh Childress had a Youtube video of him eating fried chicken and watermelon. The next day a black basketball analyst named Stephen Bardo said something along the lines of how disrespectful this generation is because his dad would have slapped him in the back of the head if he did something to put black people back like that.  He went on to say that blacks are trying hard to fight against the stereotypes against them.  Why would you fight against that stereotype?  Who really cares?  How does it set black people back in their civil rights fight if some blacks are unashamed that they like watermelon and fried chicken?  Well, I'll just say this, call me a racist, I love watermelon and fried chicken so if you don't want yours, I'll eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment