Monday, September 17, 2012

The taboo "I don't know"

It has recently occured to me that people are scared to death of the phrase, "I don't know."  We want to believe that we have all the answers.  We want to believe that everything that can be discovered has been.  That is why when you publish papers, you have to reference those before you that discovered the same thing.  This implies no new theories can develop.  Why is it so difficult to say, "I don't know."  Here are my most blatant examples.

Medicine.  So many times people believe themselves to be Doctors simply because they've had a long history of medical problems.  This is not what is needed to be a Doctor.  You don't get an M.D. simply because you're always in the hospital for some reason or another.  You cannot diagnose people.  WebMD has made this worse.  The recently canceled show, "House" satirized these people by having a character that does what doctors probably wants to do in berating patients who self-diagnose.  The show "Royal Pains" is another example.  The favorite thing of these pseudo-doctors is when real doctors, those that have gone to medical school, cannot discover a reason for an illness.  This is like candy for these retarded, ignorant, arrogant pieces of trash that annoy me by offering a medical opinion with absolutely no medical training or treatment of any kind.  Most of these people aren't even certified in CPR.  For example, four times in my life, I have collapsed.  Doctors believe it's something with my brain; whereas paramedics believe it to be my heart.  Both have been thoroughly tested and scanned and all came out clean.  No doctor can tell me why it happens.  When I tell people this, I get all sorts of opinions, mostly trying to promote their idealogy about how I should run my life.  In fact, only one person has resisted the urge to not comment on why this may happen.  She having two degrees in Finance and International Business from the Stern School of Business realized that that doesn't qualify her to make medical opinons so she refrained.  The answer is obvious...nobody knows. 

The other blaring example of this is the classic debate between Darwinism and creationism.  Here's the point, nobody has any idea how life came to be on this planet.  Darwin said in "Origin of Species" that the fossil record would either prove or disprove his theory.  So far, it has more disproved than proved.  There has yet to be a definitive transitional species found.  Archeopterox (looks like a half bird/half lizard) had potentioal but then it was discovered that the earliest fossils came much much later than the earliest full bird fossils and transitional species can't come before the end result.  That and there have been no early eyes, basically all these failed species that Darwin predicted would be found haven't been.  The argument against Creationism has similar problems.  In the bible, God creates animals before plants....why would he do something that stupid?  Plants are the bottom of the food chain, animals eat plants, bigger animals eat those animals but it's out of sequence in the bible.  That doesn't work either.  Why is it so difficult for people to admit the truth...nobody knows how life came on this Earth.  And yes, I would say the default goes to God.  but the answer to Darwinism vs. Creationism is "I don't know."

My last example is the environment.  In the 80's everyone worried about global cooling to the point that they wanted to cover the arctic in black soot to attract heat.  Now we have global warming fears, maybe in 30 years we'll be back to global cooling.  After all, every year we get BOTH record highs AND record lows, so both theories can have the same evidence.  That and you only see warming in urban areas, and farm animals produce much more potent and harmful greenhouse gases than humans, all make this argument  very very weak.  So, here's the point, when it comes to the weather....nobody knows.  Why can't we just say "I don't know."?  I don't know if it's getting warmer or colder, I don't know if it's caused my man, and honestly nobody else knows.  Of course, just like with medicine when no responsible professional can prove it or disprove it, the retards come out and put forth their opinion knowing that they can't definitively be proved wrong.

In closing, Plato said, "A wise person speaks because he has something to say, a foolish person because he has to say something."  and Socrates added, "Knowledge is knowing the extent of your ignorance" He even said, "I am the smartest man in the world because I know that I know nothing."  Over 5,000 years after Socrates was killed, I wish today's humans could realize the same thing. 

Signed copies of my book can be bought at the bottom of this page

No comments:

Post a Comment