Sunday, May 1, 2011

Obama's speech about the death of Osama Bin Laden

First off, the good news.  I will credit President Obama for succeeding where Bush Jr. failed.  I believe it to be a horrendous indictment on our nation's competency that it took almost 10 years to find and kill Osama Bin Laden.  Thank you President Obama.

I also have to admit that I was wrong about something.  I said that I believed Osama Bin Laden to be in Saudi Arabia because everyone was looking for him in Pakistan so he would go where Muslims would be and the last place we'd look.  I was wrong in that assessment. 

President Obama sent a covert mission into Pakistan to kill Bin Laden, he did it in his own way with the support of Pakistan, although I'm not always behind American presidents asking permission to do something in defense of our nation, on this point, I'm glad he tried but I hope that he would have the courage to have done the same even if Pakistan said no.  The final praise I will give him about his speech is that he clearly laid out that Bin Laden is a mass murderer of all religions including Muslims.  Most pay lip service to that we're not at war with Islam and Islam is a religion of peace and that nonsense, but Obama added substance to that to those who don't know of the world atrocities committed by Al Queda and I commend him for that.

Now that I have praised Obama, I need to critique something about his speech.  He found out in August where Bin Laden was....It took nine months for him to put together a mission.  This is the problem with the American military, there's so much red tape.  Bin Laden could have moved in nine months.  I consider us very lucky that in the nine months it took to put this plan together we didn't miss out on yet another opportunity to lose him just as how we did when Clinton was president.

No comments:

Post a Comment