Thursday, May 19, 2011

Rescued Damsel in Distress

I don't claim to speak for all guys on this one.  I believe that men could potentially have a different motive for the classic damsel in distress scenario, but I believe that objectively the woman should run.

If I saw someone roughing up a girl, I'd like to think that I would step in and help her out.  This is especially true if I care about the girl in that she's someone I know.  When I step in, however, I would want to girl to run.  The only reason I'm engaged in a fight is so that she can be okay.  If she sticks around, that's added pressure to win the fight.  If I lose, the assailant goes right back to what he was doing.  In fact, now he believes he earned it.  If the girl runs, and our fight is merely a distraction, even if I get my ass kicked, the girl is safe.  People do not need that much of a head start while running away to get away.  Thus, even if I get my ass kicked and the girl is safe, I accomplished the goal....for her to be safe. 

Some guys will argue that if you do this for a girl you don't know, though noble, she has no way of contacting you to thank you in any way she deems fit.  Though, I don't see too much of a problem with this, if your sole goal is to get laid, well then I don't think your intentions are too honorable.  An honorable, chivalrous, old-fashioned guy is doing it so the girl can be safe...if that leads to relation than so be it, but it should be a side effect or goal of your actual intent....the girl's safety.  So women, if a guy stops an assailant that is trying to hurt you...run.

No comments:

Post a Comment