Friday, May 13, 2011

Why I don't forgive Lebron

Lebron James apologized to Cleveland for the way he left.  Finally he gets it...we weren't mad that he left, we were mad at the way he did it with no remorse.  He then flat out admitted that he couldn't beat Boston by himself.  Now, I don't think he was, Mo Williams and Zyldrunas Illgauskas were both all-stars and Boobie Gibson, Delonte West etc. etc. were good role players.  But alas, at least he sort of admitted he is not Jordan.

So why do I not forgive him?  Well that comes from an integrity standpoint.  Ohioans are brought up to believe that someone's word is their bond.  Lebron said, "I will not rest, I will not tire, until I bring Cleveland a championship."  That didn't happen.  He tapped out and quit with no mention of his lying or going back on that solemn promise.  In my adopted and current city, New York, they don't have this mentality.  Someone's word isn't binding here, instead everything needs to be in writing and even then they waver.  Lebron is from Ohio, I grew up in Ohio, I know how important keeping your word is, and Lebron doesn't seem to have any care for it.  And besides, he didn't apologize to Cleveland, he apologized to his teammates in Cleveland...so he still resents us after hardcore supporting him for 7 years.  This, I can't really blame him because the visceral hate cominig from Cleveland fans the past 10 months understandably may lead to some resentment on his part.  I would argue it's just a testimony of how great the fans are in Cleveland but you can be the judge of that.

Maybe now that Lebron's team has had their path to the championship open up considerably, he's hedging his bets.  The Cavs owner Dan Gilbert says that Lebron will be cursed till he does right by Cleveland.  Maybe that's why he finally apologized to his Cleveland teammates.  As for me, I don't forgive.

No comments:

Post a Comment